Reading new key packages (Re: Coexistence with OpenPGP/IETF)

Heiko Schäfer heiko at schaefer.name
Thu Jan 18 22:10:32 CET 2024

Hello Werner,

On 1/17/24 17:39, Werner Koch via LibrePGP-discuss wrote:
> In LibrePGP we don't support v6. Period.

Apologies for this additional inquiry. I'd like to understand your
perspective and plans a bit better:

My current understanding is that GnuPG has opted to take the LibrePGP
route, as outlined in draft-koch-librepgp-00, in order to roll out new
features quickly, by making only relatively small and incremental
changes. I can see the reasoning behind this.

Also, I fully agree that the LibrePGP draft should not include
specifications for v6 artifacts.

However, as an independent question, I wonder if GnuPG might in the
future consider including some support for formats from
draft-ietf-openpgp-crypto-refresh. For example enabling GnuPG users to
verify signatures made by crypto-refresh users?

Thank you,
Heiko