Questions about LibrePGP specification

Falko Strenzke falko.strenzke at mtg.de
Mon Jun 24 08:37:12 CEST 2024

Hi Werner,

see my comment inline below.

Am 20.06.24 um 19:08 schrieb Werner Koch:
>> 2. Section "12.1. Key Structures"
>>      1. Question: This section makes User ID Packet optional for v4
>>         keys. Is that a mistake? Is it possibly meant that this
>>         requirement is removed for certificates with a v5 primary key?
> Right, this seems to contradict section 11.1
>
>     11.1.  Transferable Public Keys
>     LibrePGP users may transfer public keys.  The essential elements of a
>     transferable public key are as follows:
>     *  One Public-Key packet
>     *  Zero or more revocation signatures
>     *  One or more User ID packets
>
> which requires at least one user id packet.  IIRC this differences stems
> from Derek Atkin's requirement to allow for tiny keyblocks.  But he had
> no need to transfer them.  With the syntax used in 12.1 it was not
> possible to tag a SHOULD to the number of user ID.  I'll add some
> wording or will ask Derek whether he still requires the specification
> compliant tiny keys.

I just want to point out: Making the User ID Packet optional for v4 keys
is formally a wire-format breaking change, since v4 keys created without
a User ID Packet may not be accepted by Implementations conforming to
RFC 4880, where it is mandatory. The crypto-refresh also introduces this
non-backwards compatible change, as I saw just now.

- Falko

--

*MTG AG*
Dr. Falko Strenzke

Phone: +49 6151 8000 24
E-Mail: falko.strenzke at mtg.de
Web: mtg.de <https://www.mtg.de>

MTG AG - Dolivostr. 11 - 64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Commercial register: HRB 8901
Register Court: Amtsgericht Darmstadt
Management Board: Jürgen Ruf (CEO), Tamer Kemeröz
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Thomas Milde

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the correct recipient or have received this email in error,
please inform the sender immediately and delete this email.Unauthorised
copying or distribution of this email is not permitted.

Data protection information: Privacy policy
<https://www.mtg.de/en/privacy-policy>