[mod_gnutls-devel] Cannot load mod_gnutls.so into server - libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Oct 26 17:13:19 CET 2015

Hi Mike--

(please subscribe to the mailing list so that your messages can go
through without explicit moderation!)

On Mon 2015-10-26 09:04:33 -0400, Mike Wenzel wrote:

> I just ran into the following problem after I started my VM (openSUSE)
> today. I didn't changed anything, and it worked fine last Friday. I
> don't work on the weekend so I don't even had the chance to do
> something on it.
>
> When I try to start my apache2 using "rcapache2 start" I'm getting:
>
> start_apache2[1801]: httpd2-prefork: Syntax error on line 6 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 34 of /etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/loadmodule.conf: Cannot load /usr/lib64/apache2/mod_gnutls.so into server: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Any ideas?
>
> # echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib64
>
> # find / -type f -name mod_gnutls.so
> /usr/lib64/apache2/mod_gnutls.so
>
> # find / -type f -name libgnutls.so.26
> #

this last bit is the issue -- maybe you've got some failed dependency
here?  you should have some library package installed that provides
libgnutls.so.26

alternately, maybe you need to rebuild mod_gnutls.so to have it work
with whatever modern version of libgnutls that is installed.

can you do that last find for 'libgnutls.so.*' and see what turns up?
if it's .so.28 or something else, you should rebuild mod_gnutls against
the newer version.

    --dkg