[mod_gnutls-devel] Segfault in 0.8.1 test 24 on i386

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jan 3 05:46:23 CET 2017

On Mon 2017-01-02 17:42:58 -0500, Brian Morton wrote:
> I've been working on diagnosing this FTBFS bug in Ubuntu
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2/+bug/1597450.
>
> Mod_gnutls fails to build on i386 due to some string format issues fixed in
> 0.8.1. Once those simple issues are fixed, test 24 fails due to a segfault
> in Apache. This seems to be true whether using Debian/Ubuntu sources or the
> latest from mod_gnutls. The crash appears to be due to a buffer overflow.
> Backtrace indicates several libs are involved including gnutls, softhsm2,
> and p11-kit. The issue very likely is within one of those libraries rather
> than mod_gnutls, but I'm trying to nail it down further so I thought I'd
> start here.

fwiw, we're not seeing these issues on debian unstable on i386 with the
packaged version 0.8.1-1.  It looks like some sort of failure in process
cleanup related to softhsm2, but the versions of softhsm2 (2.2.0-1) look
like they're the same in ubuntu zesty and debian unstable.

i haven't been able to tease out any better diagnosis myself yet, sorry!

  --dkg