[mod_gnutls-devel] mod_gnutls incompatible with Let's Encrypt OSCP responder

A L mail at lechevalier.se
Sat Jul 10 10:40:40 CEST 2021

Hi,

mod_gnutls is using SHA256 for signing OSCP requests. This is not
supported by the Let's Encrypt (LE) OSCP responder, as it it only
supports SHA1 per RFC 5019.

I believe the corresponding code is
https://github.com/airtower-luna/mod_gnutls/blob/a6b3ae34c7bb069bf166530ed6fab71b7cd2139d/src/gnutls_ocsp.c#L201

  /* GnuTLS doc says that the digest is "normally"
      * GNUTLS_DIG_SHA1. */
     ret = gnutls_ocsp_req_add_cert(r, GNUTLS_DIG_SHA256,
                                    issuer, req_data->cert);

There was a request on LE to support SHA25, but I see compelling
arguments that SHA1 should be supported by mod_gnutls as well.

https://github.com/letsencrypt/boulder/issues/5523
https://github.com/airtower-luna/mod_gnutls/issues/3

Currently, when using mod_gnutls with Apache we see warnings about OSCP
responder needlessly.

Thanks!