Encrypted MLs

lilo at dyn-max1-1.chicago.il.ameritech.net lilo at dyn-max1-1.chicago.il.ameritech.net
Tue Apr 28 13:11:44 CEST 1998

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Werner Koch wrote:

> It's somewhat like the M$ Windoze situation - you can write very good
> apps but M$'s apps are always better because they define a new "standard"
> which is not compatible to the old one and they are always a little
> bit ahead of all others (e.g. Word6 -> Word7, their JAVA API).

Well, let's not lose sight of the fact that PGP became well-known because it
provided worthwhile functionality, not the reverse.  There's still no
freeware general encryption tool other than GPG.

> The KDE project does exactly that - trying to clone Windoze.

It'd be nice to have a program that will read PGP keys for your keyrings,
and write PGP-readable messages to users whose keys were generated with PGP,
but it'd also be nice to have a program whose features were not limited by
PGP design limitations when you're not dealing with PGP users....

I'm pleased to see a freeware program with GPG's capabilities being
developed.  I don't anticipate that most of the people I'll be corresponding
with will be running PGP once that development has reached a nice solid
release point.

For what it's worth, your mileage may vary, etc.

Rob L.