faster way of determing if the passphrase is correct or not

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Apr 11 15:55:42 CEST 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:39:41 +0200, folkert  said:

> passphrase is incorrect). This seems to be a slow method: my 2.8GHz P4
> can only do it 220 times a second. So I was wondering: is there a faster

I guess we can douple or triple the performance but not much more.
The whole point of the algorithm is to slow things down.

Things to do: Avoid the overhead of the cyptoframe work and thus write
an optimized hash function. Avoid dynamic memory allocation and reuse
buffers.  And all the other usual micro optmimizations.  It does not
make much sense unless you want to write a passphrase cracker, though.

Salam-Shalom,