Fwd: Re: The --use-tor option

Ivan Markin twim at riseup.net
Tue Oct 20 20:09:51 CEST 2015

Werner Koch:
>> Sad. I had a guess about Windows. For me it looks like we need some
>> > 'reference' implementation of this, a library (like Stem) to not to
>> > reimplement Tor support each time in each project, to be able to update
> Accessing a SOCKS5 proxy (which is used to access tor) on the local
> machine is actually quite simple because you only need to replaces the
> connect call.  We already do something more complicated for Windows (to
> emulate UnixDonain sockets).  See below for the code Dirmngr uses (from
> Libassuan).  It is pretty straightforward unless you have to integrate
> with non-blocking event driven code.

What I'm trying to say is that you're dealing with IPv4/IPv6-addressess,
trying to resolve domain names, etc in your code.  When you delegate
this stuff to some library your code becomes platform independent and
easier to maintain. So this pluggable network module could be anything
(ClearNet/Tor/i2p/whatever). This module should know how to resolve
hostnames and should do it in its own way - an application just passes
some data to "hostname" (no matter what does this "hostname" mean and
how to resolve it).

--
Ivan Markin