add 'encipher' alias

Michał Górny mgorny at gentoo.org
Sat Dec 9 06:37:06 CET 2023

On Sat, 2023-12-09 at 00:13 +0000, Daniel Cerqueira via Gnupg-devel
wrote:
> It is a valid point of view, that when we 'encrypt'
> stuff, we are actually 'ciphering' stuff, we are not putting stuff in
> a crypt, but we are leaving them at plain sight (but with the content
> passed through a cipher).

"encrypt" actually doesn't stem from "a crypt" but 'from Ancient Greek
κρυπτός (kruptós, literally “hidden, concealed, private, secret”).'

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/encrypt#Etymology

Furthermore, you are not "leaving them in plain sight", the actual data
is no longer in plain sight when it's encrypted.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny