add 'encipher' alias

Daniel Cerqueira dan.git at brilhante.top
Sat Dec 9 12:13:28 CET 2023

Michał Górny <mgorny at gentoo.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2023-12-09 at 00:13 +0000, Daniel Cerqueira via Gnupg-devel
> wrote:
>> It is a valid point of view, that when we 'encrypt'
>> stuff, we are actually 'ciphering' stuff, we are not putting stuff in
>> a crypt, but we are leaving them at plain sight (but with the content
>> passed through a cipher).
>
> "encrypt" actually doesn't stem from "a crypt" but 'from Ancient Greek
> κρυπτός (kruptós, literally “hidden, concealed, private, secret”).'
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/encrypt#Etymology

I know that 'encryption' is said to come from the Greek root word.
Still, a 'crypt' also has the same root word, and 'a crypt' and
'encryption' relates more easily than the Greek meaning (since most of
us don't talk ancient Greek).

> Furthermore, you are not "leaving them in plain sight", the actual data
> is no longer in plain sight when it's encrypted.

By "leaving them in plain sight" I am saying leaving the data
accessible. Instead of inacessible in a crypt.