GPL & GnuPG

L. Sassaman rabbi@quickie.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Frank Tobin wrote:

> Jens, at 21:16 +0200 on Fri, 14 Apr 2000, wrote:
>
> > GPL means - as far as I understand it - that everyone is free to use the
> > product for whatever reason one wants. This is also valid for commercial
> > use and even for creating licensing keys.
> >
> > Sorry to say that, but GPL means freedom.
>
> I totally agree with you on this point. However, I'm interpreting
> Warner's statment as expressing his disappointment that people are
> 'foolishly' still trying to use the concept of license keys to restrict
> software. Kinda goes against everything the FSF is against; not that it
> minds _that_much_ that people still exhausting energy trying :)
It's sort of like when people take a product with the BSD license and make changes and release it under the GPL. It annoys the original authors incredibly, but it is quite legal. __ L. Sassaman System Administrator | "All of the chaos Technology Consultant | Makes perfect sense..." icq.. 10735603 | pgp.. finger://ns.quickie.net/rabbi | --Joe Diffie