"valid from" date?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jun 28 19:54:36 CEST 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:45, Jørgen Lysdal said:

> Ive used PGP for some time, and it allows me to set a "valid from"
> date on my subkeys..
> Is this also possible on GPG, or can i only select the expiration
> date?

It is not possible to set a valid from date.  Actuall there is no
valid from date but just the creatuion time of the key.  When
selecting a key, GnuPG ignores those created in the future.

If you ant to hack support for it, check out make_timestamp().

I can see no reason for using a valid from key.  Simply create it when
you need it.

> If two encryption subkeys are valid in the same period of time, how does
> gpg select which one to use?

The latest key which fits the requirements (preference, algorithms
etc.) is used.  Keys created in the future are ignored for this