"valid from" date?

Jørgen Lysdal j.lysdal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 21:49:03 CEST 2006

2006/6/28, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>:
> It is not possible to set a valid from date.  Actuall there is no
> valid from date but just the creatuion time of the key.

My key made with PGP shows this:

sub  4096R/10BFF302  created: 2006-04-06  expires: 2008-04-06  usage: E
sub  4096R/B3DF6DC0  created: 2008-04-06  expires: never       usage: E

So GPG will see the valid period on the second subkey as 2008-04-06 to never.
and not use it before 2008-04-06 ?

> When
> selecting a key, GnuPG ignores those created in the future.

uhm.. i dont think im getting this right...

> If you ant to hack support for it, check out make_timestamp().

Can this enable me to set created date´s like, in 2010 if i want?

> I can see no reason for using a valid from key.  Simply create it when
> you need it.

For me, creating a key is a one-time-thing, why not add some sub´s from
the start, so i dont have to mess with it later?

> The latest key which fits the requirements (preference, algorithms
> etc.)

Isent theese algo settings stored with each uid? or do i mix things together?

Thanks for your help.

- Jorgen Ch. Lysdal