SOLUTION: GPG 2.1.x not compiling on OS X (any version)

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Sat Apr 4 10:46:12 CEST 2015

Hello,
	A while back, when 2.1.0 was released I and many others
encountered a most annoying error when compiling or attempting to
compile both pinentry and GnuPG itself.  It was a linker error where
x86_64 architecture was not recognised.  Online searches led to
similar problems affecting Qt and the solution for those users had
been to specify a different C++ library.  This, of course, only led to
further confusion here because there isn't any C++ in GPG or its
dependencies.

So I put the problem aside and turned to other things.  With the
Enigmail decision to drop support for 1.4.x, however, I decided that
it was time to have another crack and this time pursue a different
course of action.  By this time 2.1.2 had been added to MacPorts and
they clearly weren't seeing the same errors.  Off to Freenode to track
down one of the maintainers and pick brains I went.

To cut the entire process somewhat shorter, it apparently does not
matter which arguments and flags you pass to configure pointing to the
new libiconv library you just installed because OS X will ignore that
and use its own (in /usr/lib or wherever it is).

The solution is to do a full source install (sudo port -s install
[--force] gnupg21) with MacPorts.  It may still die in the final part
with GPG, but changing to the build directory and running the commands
again is fine.  If you wanted to tweak something before compiling,
this is the time to do it (or use the -k flag to keep the source and
then go back and run it manually later).

Special thanks go to Ionic, the MacPorts pinentry maintainer, who
correctly identified the libiconv fault.

Regards,
Ben