spec file

seth vidal skvidal@phy.duke.edu
Mon Dec 3 23:25:01 2001

--=-Yuuss82Enhz3uqpomNJY

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 17:11, Werner Koch wrote:
> On 03 Dec 2001 16:36:14 -0500, seth vidal said:
>=20
> > will announcements for new versions be posted here? If so then I'll try
>=20
> Sure.
>=20
> > Have y'all talked to ximian and the evo-hackers about evolutions gpg
> > integration. Its not bad - but could use cleaning in some areas, might
>=20
> I don't think that it does make sense to talk to Ximian anymore.
>=20
> About a year ago I had contributed full functioning code but it was
> refused by them because they want to support the proprietary PGP 7.
> Given the recent news about Ximian going proprietary, this throws just
> another light on it :-(
>=20

I don't know about the pgp 7 issue but here is what I do know about
ximian and evolution.

1. evolution is gpl'd and can't be taken back by them b/c other people
have contributed to it.
2. the connector to MS exchange is closed source, which I agree sucks,
but it has NO impact on the mail client at all.
3. if you had an interaction a year ago things may have changed, don't
write them off b/c you had an interaction a year before that wasn't
great.
4. people will use evolution. its a nice client and it will be popular
among the red hat linux users. And that means a fair number of people
will be using it. If you want success with this project you don't want
to close off groups of users.
5. register your complaints in their bugzilla. I know the bugmaster,
personally, he reads ALL of them and loves to smack around developers
when he can.

I can say, with a fair amount of confidence, that I do not think ximian
is "going proprietary". They are going to produce a closed program,
thats it.

-sv

--=20
GPG Public Key: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~skvidal/skvidal.gpg