Project Ägypte n with OpenSC?

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan@intevation.de
Tue Dec 4 09:54:01 2001

Dear Juha,

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 12:32:05AM +0200, Juha Yrjölä wrote:
> Have you made any plans yet on what API to use to interface with
> smartcards? Or are you dead-set on implementing your own (which seems to
> be the trend these days)?

of course we are not dead-set.
We just have to take care that the solution of Ägypten
suffice the high quality needs typical for security software
and we are responsible to pass a test center.
Oh, and we are contracted to build a GPL-solution :-)

> I've been coding on this library on my spare time (can be found at
> http://jemmari.tky.hut.fi/opensc). I was searching the net for S/MIME
> related stuff with Open Source projects, and came upon project Ägypten
> (for which I assume this list is the right channel to discuss these
> matters). This seems perfect for my needs, ie. support for mutt and some
> graphical MUA support.

You might have seen, that we already linked to your page
at http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/development.en.html :-)

> You even seem to be implementing a (semi-)secure way ask a PIN code from
> the user. Which is good.

yes, actually a small set of it (graphical, terminal).

> So I was wondering, is there any need for a flexible smartcard library
> with a low-level abstraction (it won't require PC/SC Lite)? I might
> could code the glue between OpenSC and Ägypten.

It is planned for December to start thinking about the SC part,
so minds are not made by now. Werner will be into the
SC technology and the best guy to discuss opportunities
to glue the packages.

Best

	Jan
--