Ägypten with S/MIME and OpenPGP

Simon Josefsson jas@extundo.com
Tue Oct 30 20:53:01 2001

Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan@intevation.de> writes:

> Hi Jan,
>
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 06:51:48PM +0200, Jan Petranek wrote:
>> My interest lies more to the issue, how implementing both (OpenPGP and
>> S/MIME) format would effect public-key-infrastructures.
>
> in the first instance it can't have an effect on pki.
> pki with OpenPGP and S/MIME are two separate worlds.

There's no reason it has to be that way, I believe proprietary PGP
implementations already support X.509 certificate syntax, so OpenPGP
and S/MIME aren't that far away from each other.

> It is far beyond the scope of Ägypten to develop concepts
> for combining pki approaches behind OpenPGP and S/MIME.
> Perhaps we can convince authorities to invest in
> neutral research towards sensible pki :-)

Well, if Ägypten have a sensible framework that allows for both
OpenPGP and S/MIME, the authorities might see that this was a good
idea and help the effort.