Porting GPA to GPGME

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon Aug 12 10:35:01 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:03:25 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann said:

> Possibly.  The trust item interface is experimental, but the main problem
> right now is that it is also unsupported by GnuPG.  There was an
> implementation for --list-trust-path in 1.81.2.20, but it went away when
> the trustdb code was revamped in 1.81.2.21.  Werner, was that a temporary
> thing or what do you envision for listing the signatures on a key?

I am not clear on this.  Tne problem is that the key signatures are
PGP specific and we don't want have a PGP specific thing in GPGME.
OTOH, it really makes sense to be abe to check who signed whos key.
So I think we should eventually implement the trustlist feature again.

I don't know wether the tustlist should be used for listing the
signature or we have to provide a new interface or somehow integrate
it in the regular keylisting.  I tend towards the trustlist.

> It's arguably a bad thing to give out the secret key :)  Sometimes it might
> not even be possible, like if it is stored on a smart card or otherwise
> managed by gpg-agent.

Right.  If you want to export a secret key you should do it from the
commandline.  Fro example, gpgsm doe not have a feature to export the
secret key because it does not know the value of the secret key (it is
either a property of gpg-agent or even store in in an ICC).

Regarding backup we should not use gpgme but a special tool which may
be invoked (fork/exec) from GPA.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner