feature request

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed Aug 14 18:53:01 2002

On 14 Aug 2002 10:26:50 -0400, seth vidal said:

>  I was wondering if someone would be willing to add a "shred plaintext"

shred may work or may not work.  It highly depends on the kernel you
use, the filesystem and the active filesystem options.  The only
entity which can safely implement file wiping is the file system - and
this is also only true for dump hard disks.  Modern hard disks provide
a virtual image of the disks, so that there is no 1-to-1 mapping of
logical sectors to physical areas on the disk.

Shred and wipe do the best they can but you will never be sure that it
works.  If this is to be implemented, I recommend an appropriate
warning notice.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner