Porting GPA to GPGME

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed Aug 14 18:59:01 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:27:13 +0200, Miguel Coca said:

> Are PGP key signatures so different from the certification on a X.509 key,
> other than there are more than one? I don't know enough about the details,
> but they look quite similar to me.

Yes, the system is really different.  X.509 is a subset of PGP's WoT.

> Since the signatures are specific to each key and User ID, it would be
> easier to work with them if we could get them in a similar way to other
> attributes, from a GpgmeKey and the user ID index.

I already started to work on this and it will basically be done by
using a new key listing mode to include the signatures.  I am just not
yet set on the interface; to have a clean and fast one we probably
need a new set of functions.

I won't go with the trustlist thing because that just maps what gpg
things about the WoT and does not give any details of the key
signatures.  Having the full signature interface will give you more
flexibility - e.g. one might want to combine it with an addressbook.

> It doens't make much sense to export the secret key without the public one,
> doesn't it? So, I will take out the option to export secret keys, and later

Right, both should be exported.

> on provide a backup feature. The tool you describe should be rather easy to
> implement for the current gnupg.

Yep.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner