Status of GPA and GPGME

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Aug 27 23:54:03 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:59:16AM +0200, Miguel Coca wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 18:15:22 -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> > I think I was not clear enough.  What I meant was that the intent is
> > to eventually have no built-in keyserver support in the gpg binary,
> > and do all keyserver access through the external helper programs.
>
> Ah, Ok.
>
> > Currently, this plan is not complete: in 1.2, HKP is still in the gpg
> > binary, but all other keyserver types (including LDAP) are external.
> > There is already code for an external HKP handler, but it is not yet
> > as good as the internal code (it is missing HTTP proxy support).
>
> If I understood you, once we support one of the helpers, we support all of
> them, right? So, there should be no problem if we released a GPA without HKP
> support. Then, as soon as HKP was taken out of gpg, it would be added to the
> list of supported protocols without much effort.

Correct.  You can actually support it now (I committed the missing
code today), but it should still be considered unstable.

> > the keyserver helper programs are all written to accept commands via a
> > pipe or via a temp file.
>
> Is that interface documented somewhere? Other than in the source, of course :-)

Well... :) I've been meaning to document it.  I'll try to get that
done soon.  In the meantime, I'll send you some notes I typed up for
Simon Josefsson who is doing some DNS keyserver stuff.

David