problems getting gpg-agent to work

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue Sep 16 15:53:02 2003

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:20:20 -0400, Murray Smigel said:

> I have built the various  modules for gpg/mime under kmail as described in
> http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html, although I had to remove gnu
> pth to get gpg-agent to run with out a seg fault. When I try the gpg-agent

There is something definitely wrong if it segv when running with Pth
support.

> gpg-agent[24019]: DBG: connection to PIN entry established
> gpg-agent[24019]: command get_passphrase failed: ec=-1

There is something wron.  What pinentry are you using, did you
specify the name of the pinentry in gpg-agent.conf ?

> In anycase, when I try using the crypto plugin in kmail, it refuses to sign
> mail, giving the error "#19 no pass phase" message. If I remove the line

The pinentry is required to supply gpg with a passphrase without
having kmail involved.  kmail does not know and needs not to know
whether a passphrase is required.

Did you run the gpg-agent in the background as described in the
manual?  Is the GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable set?  I guess both
is correct. Note, that using gpg with kmail requires that the
gpg-agent is already in the background, whereas gpgsm (for S/MIME) has
a fallback mode where this is not required.    What are the software
versions you are using?  newpg? gnupg?  libgrypt? pinentry?

--
Werner Koch                                      <wk@gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com