Fwd: KMail/GnuPG always report problems with signed S/MIME

bsmaillist at skynet.be bsmaillist at skynet.be
Tue Jul 20 16:27:26 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 16:06, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:20:04 +0200, bsmaillist  said:
> > OK. I'm willing to give it a try. Should I deinstall v1.3 first? All the
> > components?
>
> No, they peacefully coexist.
>
> > Does gnupg 1.9.9 support smartcards via PKCS#11?
>
> pkcs#11 is a silly standard only useful if you want to hide your
> application, driver or whatever.  This it is IMHO not useful for FS.
>
> gnupg 1.9 supports a couple of smartcard - if you are able to build
> with OpenSC it should support many pkcs#15 card and it natively
> support DINSIG, NKS and OpenPGP cards.  Access either using ctAPI,
> PC/SC or using the native CCID driver.
>
>   Werner

Hi Werner,

Thanks for the reply.

So we have GnuPG excluding all PKCS#11 cards and we have KMail 1.7 excluding
any other crypto plugin but GnuPG. And thus the circle is closed.

I'm sorry but doesn't this exclude more smartcards then it includes?

Doesn't this approach effectively lock out any smartcard for which the issuer
has gone through the trouble of providing Linux versions of his PKCS#11
driver. Why should they still bother with Linux? Even Firebird and
Thunderbord don't support smartcards anymore.

And as far as PKCS#11 being a "silly standard", isn't the operative word
here : "standard"?

Regards