Fwd: KMail/GnuPG always report problems with signed S/MIME

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jul 21 15:58:06 CEST 2004

[ S/MIME KMail and GnuPG ]

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:46:20AM +0200, bsmaillist at skynet.be wrote:
> None of the signed messages I receive can be verified.
>
> KMail/gpg detects that it is a signed message and displays it accordingly.
> The text body is readable but the signature verification always fails.

One general rule of debugging that stuff is:

	Try to seperate the crypto problems from the email problems.
	If crypto works, you can check on the problems of the mailer.

In going this route, try to sign a regular file on the command line:
	gpgsm -s x >x.sig
	gpgsm --verify x

Usually you can see the problems then.
It might be that you do not have CRL in place.

> 1) When I send signed S/MIME messages to myself the messages are displayed as
> "Not enough information to check signature. [Details]
>
> I would've thought that all the information to verify my own signatures is
> available on my system, especially since GnuPG allows me to sign with that
> particular key/cert. I signed this e-mail using that key and I am curious
> whether it causes problems in other people's KMail/GnuPG setup too.

It might be a bug in newpg 0.9.4 that does not check your own CRL on signing.
I do not remember.

> 2) Some signed mails from third parties cause another error:
> " Not enough information to check signature. [Details]
> e.g. recent mails of Ingo Klöcker on the Aegypten mailing list cause this
> error.

A second step of debugging would be to enable debug logs in all
components and redirect them  in a file.

You can also try to save the encoded parts of the emails
and verify the signatures manually on the command line.

> 3) In both cases the [Details] hyperlink does nothing.

It tries to get the certmanager up.
If there is no key you do not get it up.

Apard from that I recommend trying an uptodate gnupg-1.9.
(use CVS or wait for 1.9.10). That is were bugs get fixed.
	Bernhard