Little help please...

J. Wren Hunt wren at hunt.org
Sun May 22 14:39:30 CEST 2005

Tod Thomas wrote:
> I have two test programs, one encrypts, the other decrypts.  When I pipe
> a string to the encryption program and pipe its output to the decryption
> program I get the original string back.  This is on Redhat 8.
>
> I took the code from the encryption program and wrote a server plugin to
> perform password encryption to replace an out of the box hashing
> algorithm.  The defined need is to be able to construct our own
> encryption that can be decrypted later on another server.  This server
> encryption plugin works and was been developed on a Solaris 8 box.
>
> The problem is I can't get the Sun server encrypted password to decrypt
> on the RH box.
>
> I have debug statements that display the password both before and after
> encryption and decryption, in both hex and binary.  The encrypted
> password generated on the server side doesn't match its counterpart on
> the RH side.
>
> Since I expected I would be able to just take the encrypted value on the
> server side and decrypt it using the test decryption program I wrote I
> suspected there was a problem in the server plugin.  So I added a call
> to the decryption function there to display it to see if the password
> was getting corrupted somehow.  It decrypted to the correct value.  So
> now I'm stumped and have a couple of questions.
>
> Should this work?  Is it reasonable to believe I can decrypt a string
> produced using the exact same setup (iv, key, mode, and algorithm) on
> one platform (Solaris), on a different platform (RH)?  If not is there
> another solution?
>
> This is the gcrypt developer's list, I couldn't find a gcrypt-user's
> list.  Is this the best place to ask these types of questions?

Hi Tod!

Did you get this working yet? If not can you post a link to your code? I
 can help test on different-endian platforms if you like.

--

Cheers!

J. Wren Hunt
Cambridge, MA. USA

"I have never killed anyone, but I have read some obituaries with some
satisfaction." - Clarence Darrow.

| v-card   http://wrenhunt.homelinux.org/data/wren.vcf             |
| x.509    http://wrenhunt.homelinux.org/data/thawte_wren_hunt.cer |
| OpenPGP  ADF5 1432 A59E 8F4D 4AE7  4DFE 03FA 91E1 4A24 D6F4      |