Questions about multi-threading

haypo at inl.fr haypo at inl.fr
Thu Jul 6 17:11:47 CEST 2006

Hi,

>> (d) Would it be possible to make random() functions (...)
>>     really thread safe? (...)
>
> That is not possible. (...)

Ok, I understand. It was just a question :-)

> The latest libgcrypt from SVN features a random daemon which might be
helpful for you.

Nice, I may try it since I need quickly a lot of entropy (create 100
gnutls connections or more).

>> (e) Why using REGISTER_(...); macro (...)
>
> The idea behind the module system is to allow interpreters to load new
algorithms on demand and thus full fledged locking is required.

Hum, I'm not sure that you understood my question. It's a good idea to be
able to add new modules. But my question was: why try to register default
plugins in all functions since one call will be enough? Check my
proposition (two patches) on mailing list. I replaced all "register
default ..." with *one* code only called once.

> However, this will be an ABI break.

My patches don't break ABI nor API.

Haypo