Questions about multi-threading

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Jul 7 11:08:48 CEST 2006

At Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:11:47 +0200 (CEST),
haypo at inl.fr wrote:
> > However, this will be an ABI break.
>
> My patches don't break ABI nor API.

Just a general note (I didn't check it against your patches): The
ABI/API is changed not only if you change the call signature of
functions, or memory layout of exposed data structures, but also if
you change the semantic behaviour of functions.  For example, if a
function was guaranteed to call an initializer, and then doesn't
anymore, that's a semantic change.

If that is a "break" depends on what we promise about these functions.
This is where one needs to check existing documentation, but also
existing practice, as the documentation is probably not a 100%
complete specification (some common sense applies).

Thanks,
Marcus