Questions about multi-threading

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 7 17:25:57 CEST 2006

On Thu,  6 Jul 2006 17:11, haypo at inl.fr said:

> Nice, I may try it since I need quickly a lot of entropy (create 100
> gnutls connections or more).

That won't give you more entropy of course.  However, the pool is
persistent over invocations of applications using libgcrypt.

There are still problems with it.  For example applications requesting
very strong random (e.g. for key generation) may stall other
applications.  This is much like /dev/random and /dev/urandom.

> able to add new modules. But my question was: why try to register default
> plugins in all functions since one call will be enough? Check my
> proposition (two patches) on mailing list. I replaced all "register
> default ..." with *one* code only called once.

My fault, sorry.

>> However, this will be an ABI break.
>
> My patches don't break ABI nor API.

This was related to removing the module system.  However, see Marcus
comments.  I don't think your patch would break a documented
behaviour, though.

BTW, we need copyright assignments for patches.

Salam-Shalom,