Question about md_open() and random

haypo at inl.fr haypo at inl.fr
Mon Jul 10 14:38:02 CEST 2006

> On Fri 07 Jul 2006 18:50, Moritz Schulte wrote:
>> > I don't understand why a message digest function need to call
"_gcry_fast_random_poll()" !? I noticed a FIXME:

>> This is to make sure that the random pool is filled with entropy on a
pseudo-regular basis.  Note that this function call is a no-op, in case
the random pool has not been used before.

> Hmmm, this has the side effect of adding a non deterministic delay to
other unrelated to randomness functions (because of the lock). (and might
even become a bottleneck when many hashes are done in parallel).

Yep, exactly! And you didn't anwer to my question: which hash algorithm
may use random? Hash functions are determinitic, isn't it?

Victor Stinner