Question about md_open() and random

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jul 10 20:54:38 CEST 2006

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:38, haypo at inl.fr said:

> Yep, exactly! And you didn't anwer to my question: which hash algorithm
> may use random? Hash functions are determinitic, isn't it?

It is not that the hash algorithm are using random but hashing is a
very common operation and often used right before other operations
require random.  Thus doing a fast random collect there is a Good
Thing.

If you can provide profile data showing that it is really a problem
for your application we can add a control call to explicitly disable
these automatic polls.

Shalom-Salam,