Export regulations and DES-only crypto and 'Ohhhh jeeee'

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Thu Aug 7 01:19:11 CEST 2008

Hi,

  Export regulations makes it so that libcrypt has to be limited to
56-bit, to be included in a product.  So, until there's another way of
settling this, I'm trying to use the enable-ciphers configure option
like so:

./configure --enable-ciphers="des rfc2268"

  I've seen that if RC2 is not included, then the build fails.  It
looks OK to include it as the last comment about it in the Changelog
mentions that only the 40-bit version is supported.

  libgcrypt builds fine.  But the make check stage bails out with:

PASS: prime
PASS: register
Ohhhh jeeee: cipher 3 not found
/bin/sh: line 4: 9483 Aborted ${dir}$tst

  I don't know what the erro is and how to correct it.  Surely you
have, throughout the years, seen this situation where the crypto
algorithms have to be seriously trimmed down for some (stupid)
regulations.  Is this the right way to do it ?  Anyone seen that error
before in this context ?

  So 'make check' reports an error.  It nevertheless outputs some stats
and 3DES is present.  So, in cipher.c I comment out the line with
GCRY_CIPHER_3DES in the #if USE_DES block and rebuild.  Same Ohhhh jeee
error.

  I'd appreciate very much any comments/hints/suggestions.

Cheers.