Problem building 1.4.5

Mike Frysinger vapier.adi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 18:24:17 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 09:28, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:14, vapier.adi at gmail.com said:
>> even if you change the ABI, symbol hiding isnt really necessary.  the
>> only functions you've guaranteed to be in the ABI are the ones you've
>
> The version script allows to implement several ABIs.  Thus we can modify
> an API or remobing it without tocuhing the ABI.  Checkout glibc to see
> how this can be useful.

i dont classify versioning symbols quite that way, but it's just
semantics i guess

>> as soon as you use a version script to give to binutils, libtool takes
>> no part in the symbol munging.  had you used -export-symbols or
>
> Well it could munge the version script for us or pass an appropriate
> option to ld ;-).

this is treading pretty ugly territory though.  you want libtool to
parse a pretty free form file like the version script given to ld and
mung it ?  if the file had strict rules about syntax, then /maybe/ ...

at any rate, if we sent a patch that turned src/libgcrypt.vers into a
src/libgcrypt.vers.in and then ran `sed` on it, would you guys take it
?
-mike