IDEA support

Ulrich Mueller ulm at gentoo.org
Sat Jan 7 02:23:37 CET 2012

> On Mon, 16 May 2011 19:27, ulm at gentoo.org said:
>> According to <http://www.pgp.net/pgpnet/pgp-faq/#PATENT-IDEA> the
>> IDEA patent has expired today. Are there any plans for (re-)adding
>> support for the IDEA algorithm to libgcrypt?

> Maybe after the US patent expires next year.

Coming back to this.

Some sources say that the US patent has already expired on 2011-05-16.
According to others it expires at 2012-01-07 which is today.

> Still waiting for someone who want BassOMatic implemented ;-).

Not sure how much that was used. IDEA was used in PGP versions 2.* and
I guess I'm not the only one who still has some data (on backup media
mostly) encrypted with it.

Ulrich