--disable-asm flag not being fully honored

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Sep 22 11:24:28 CEST 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 21:07, chris at chatsecure.org said:

> Also, the --disable-asm flag I think should be renamed to --disable-mpi-asm
> if that's all it does and a new option called --disable-asm actually
> disable all use of assembler. Or at the very least mention in the docs that

The problem with such an approach is that we won't get reports if the
assembler code is broken.  The MPI code is way more complex and in
particular the CPU detection sometimes fails; thus we have this
--disable-asm option.  Even with --disable-asm too many folks simply use
that and don't report problems.

As timer permits, it is better to fix the actual problem - as long as it
does not make the code more complex.

Shalom-Salam,