gcry_mpi_ec_p_new and its parameter checking

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jan 14 10:04:15 CET 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 03:28, gniibe at fsij.org said:
> Coefficient a=0 is valid (as secp256k1), but the internal function
> _gcry_mpi_ec_p_new doesn't allow me to create the context.

I can't remember why I did this test.  At a quick glance there is no
risk of a division by zero.  Checking P would have made more sense if
that is really a concern.  A cause for that check may have been that I
tested some gnunet code and it passed a bad A.

> I don't know how much checking of parameters should be done with it,
> but checking against a=0 (to be failed) is wrong.

Weel, for that strange curve ;-)

>   t-mpi-point: context_alloc: ec_p_new: bad parameter detection failed (1)
>   t-mpi-point: context_alloc: ec_p_new: bad parameter detection failed (2)

Remove these tests.

Shalom-Salam,