libgcrypt fails to compile with Xcode 9 against iOS 11 SDK

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Oct 27 12:22:33 CEST 2017

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:24, chrisballinger at gmail.com said:

> However, the arm64 mach-o assembly issue is beyond my capabilities. From
> what I understand using non-asm versions of AES-GCM is not recommended, and

--disable-asm should always work.  From where did you get the
recommendation not to use --disable-asm form arm64?  It will be slower
but I doubt that this is really an issue for a messaging application.

I have a macOS box but no IOS device - can I use it to test your
problem?

BTW, relying on TLS for checking the authenticity of Libgcrypt et
al. downlods is not a good idea.  Please check gnupg/tools/getswdb.sh to
see how we do it for GnuPG components: There is a signed file with the
latest versions and their shaXsums.  The gnupg/tools/speedo.mk Makefile
uses these checksums to verify the downloads.  However, directly
verifying a certain tarball signature is also possible.  The trusted
keys are distributed with GnuPG and their fingerprints are in all
release announcements.

Shalom-Salam,