Distribution of binary

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Dec 12 15:48:24 CET 2018

Hi Gniibe,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I've been playing around some
more.

On 11/12/2018 03:33, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> As long as it's an experimental use (it's not commercial product) with
> the condition of:
>
>      * Distribution here means delivery of a limited number of hardware
>        by hand (in person)
>
>      * Both sides have enough knowledge, and agree it's an experiment
>
>      * Both sides actually have official Gnuk Token already
>
> Then, I'd say, it's OK even with 234b:0000.

Ah, okay, that's good to know! That's a really good compromise.

But there might be people who don't have a GnuK yet and might want to
experiment with a Maple Mini with GnuK. Given an explanation of the
risks involved with regard to supply chain (which includes me), they
might still be interested. The biggest hurdle: programming the Maple
Mini if you don't have equipment. If I can give them a Maple Mini with
GnuK but with a VID:PID of 0000:0000, they could build their own GnuK on
Debian stable, which is really simple, and reGNUal their design into it.
Would you be OK with a Maple Mini with GnuK with VID:PID 0000:0000,
purely for the functionality of reGNUal? Note that NeuG did not come up
on the Maple Mini and I haven't investigated why, since I didn't see any
advantage to using NeuG with reGNUal over GnuK with reGNUal.

Another option would be DFU. But I've been struggling with this for a
bit; I'll split off the thread with a mail about that.

> If done for commercial product, I think that both cases (distributing
> a hardware with 0000:0000, distributing a hardware with 234b:0000)
> anyway violate the assumption of USB governance.  In the (ideal) USB
> world, it assumes it is only done by the vendor.

Hehe, yes, 0000:0000 is definitely not okay in general. But I don't care
about that if it works under Linux for a single limited purpose. What I
care about is violating licence or spirit of GnuK and FSIJ.

>> GnuPG was less willing to work with such a GnuK; it reports:
>>> ccid-driver: usb_open failed: LIBUSB_ERROR_IO
>
> This is because of configuration.  In Debian, for example, it is the
> distribution which arranges udev rules to access the hardware.

PEBKAC. I /had/ configured udev, but it appears something had started
pcscd without my knowledge.[1] It is working now even for GnuPG with a
VID:PID of 0000:0000. Not that I intend anyone use it as that, just
noting that technically, under Linux, it /does/ work.

Cheers,

Peter.

[1] Hypothesis: if you insert a CCID-class device which does not have an
udev rule that says ENV{ID_SMARTCARD_READER_DRIVER}="gnupg", does pcscd
start on a systemd-managed Debian stable? Because I inserted the device
before I wrote the udev rule. Anyway, it's not important, it just
occured to me that might have been it.

You can send me encrypted mail if you want some privacy.  My key is
available at <http://digitalbrains.com/2012/openpgp-key-peter>