Distribution of binary

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Dec 23 21:42:26 CET 2018

Hello Werner!

On 23/12/2018 20:49, Werner Koch wrote:
> Linux already has a list of vendors, so the VID should not be a problem.
> For 2440 I would suggest "An OpenPGP Token" to keep it flexible.

ACK on the product string. But the device needs to report a string to
the computer with the vendor in it. The vendor list used by Linux says
> 1209  InterBiometrics
because that is the original owner of the VID. It seems weird to have
the device report that... I think it is technically completely compliant
to not report a vendor string at all, but this would need source code
changes to drop the reference to the string. I don't know whether an
empty string (rather than no string) is compliant.

(Note that Linux currently does not name the GnuK at all, since it has
no entry for the FSIJ VID at all. However, the strings reported by the
device itself are "Free Software Initiative of Japan"/"Gnuk Token".)

Cheers,

Peter.