Wassenaar

M Taylor mctaylor at privacy.nb.ca
Thu Dec 10 04:39:11 CET 1998

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 sen_ml at eccosys.com wrote:

> At around Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:44:08 +0100,
>  Fabio Coatti <cova at felix.unife.it> may have mentioned:
>
> > I've just read about the "Wassenaar Arrangement". I've no words about
> >
> > http://www.zanshin.com/~bobg/
>
> i've seen some commentary on this by john gilmore -- darren reed

The Wassenaar Arrangement is an international non-binding agreement
regarding military weapons and "Dual-Use" (military & civilian)
technologies.

http://www.wassenaar.org/ - the group
http://www.wassenaar.org/docs/press_4.html - press release from latest
meeting (Dec 3 1998)

http://www.jya.com/crypto-call.htm - what John Gilmore said

This is a great amount of leeway to interpret the WA differently.
The WA isn't new this year, yet over the last several years US, UK,
Germany, Netherlands, and other participating states interpreted the
previous WA with a wide variation of local laws. Expect more of that, but
the freedoms might shift a little.

Germany's stand on it: