>From woes

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 16:27:52 CET 1998

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 09:29:12AM -0600, Tim Walberg wrote:

>Besides, it seems to me that having an MUA escape "From " lines after
>the message has been signed would seriously mess up signatures... It's
>bad enough to have to deal with CR vs CR/LF vs LF... I think this really
>needs to be done by the signing agent (whether it's GPG, PGP, or any other
>similar package). Either that, or the signature verification utilities
>have to know enough to un-escape "From "...

Un-escaping "From " is a very risky business; different mailers
escape it in different ways, and ">From " at the start of a line
does not always mean that the line is in fact "From ". Basic rule:
don't try it. There's some fairly good material on the Netscape site
on this; I don't have the URL handy, but searching for "bsd mailbox"
on that site should do the trick.

Cheers,

Roger

--
Roger Burton West
Frontline Administrator, Demon Internet Ltd - of _course_ I don't speak