GPG-PGP5 Interoperation

Markus Gruber Markus.Gruber at ilo.baynet.de
Thu Jul 23 19:48:43 CEST 1998

Hi,

I now tried key generation as you described it and it worked (identifier 16
instead of 20).
I put my gpg public key on pgp5's public key ring and vice versa.
I  signed and encrypted a message with pgp5 to gpg and gpg was able to read
and verify it.

Then I signed a message with gpg to pgp5 following your suggestion...

> For now use "-z 0" to sign.  Two reasons:
>
>   - PGP 5 does not know how to handle compress algorithm 2
>   - May be it is not valid to pack all stuff in a compressed packet at
>     all (I have to check this)

Pgp5 was not able to read it.

markus at poro:/opt/home/markus > gpg -z 0 -sa testfile
gpg (GNUPG) 0.3.2; Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Markus Gruber (This is me) <markus.gruber at ilo.baynet.de>"
(1024-bit DSA key, ID 9B8F1000, created 1998-07-23)

markus at poro:/opt/home/markus > pgpv testfile.asc
Opening file "/dev/null" type text.
markus at poro:/opt/home/markus > [This information en mass means pgpv failed]

> As soon as we have preferences work it should be much easier.
> You may add "--compress-algo 1" to your ~/.gnupg/options

Has gpg compress-algo 1 (ZIP) implemented yet or does is there only ZLIB?

I also tried the following:
gpg --compress-algo 1 -eat testfile

The same ascetic fault message with pgpv as above.

Another thing I did: I signed the pgp5 public key on the gpg-keyring. The
signature got added, as I could see with gpgm --list-sigs, but the key didn't
get trusted. What can I do to have gpg trust the key by default?

Bye,
Markus