pgp2 support for gnupg

Matthew Skala mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Wed Jun 10 21:20:32 CEST 1998

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Werner Koch wrote:
> The support of the -kvv stuff will be removed from gnupg and moved to
> a wrapper program which emulates the strange pgp option syntax.

Will the PGP option syntax be emulated to the point that I can drop GPG
into Premail, the remailer/security shell, in place of PGP 2.6.3i and have
it work?  Will GPG's enhanced features be available when using this
interface, i.e. will it automatically use GPG cyphers when talking to
people with GPG keys and PGP cyphers when talking to people with those
keys?  I hope so.

Being able to use GPG in shells designed for PGP 2.6 would be a very big
win, because even real PGP can't do that in its latest version.  If GPG
can support new cyphers with the old syntax and retain compatibility with
old cyphers, then we can probably convince the operators of the cypherpunk
remailer system to switch to GPG.  That would be good in many ways.

"Let me lose so beautifully               http://www.islandnet.com/~mskala/
 Let me lick the dew from the money tree           Matthew Skala
 Have the moms of the world all care about me        Ansuz BBS
 At suppertime"                        - Odds     (250) 472-3169