UI

Kirk Fort kirk at patrohn.com
Fri Nov 6 21:53:16 CET 1998

> Not only am I thinking about asking, I'm actually asking...  and I
> don't mean to go `go back to the lame and maddening ways' of PGP.
>
> The problem with the current behavior is that it is neither documented
> nor obvious.  *What* does this filter do?

The filter decrypts files, I believe.  To you can put 'gpg < cryptfile'
and it will decrypt for you.  IMO, I think this is good unix behavior. Gpg
doesn't need an interactive menu or anything, its intended to be an
encryption 'engine`, and a nice gnome ui can be written on top of it.  It
is a possibility to make something like --help the default when 'gpg' is
run by itself, and make it a filter with an option, but I don't if that
behavior would be better than the current one.  Its pretty standard for
some unix programs to wait for standard input, and it doesn't take long to
try the standard --help option, or man gpg to figure out what is going on.