UI

Holger Schurig holger at d.om.org
Mon Nov 9 12:52:33 CET 1998

>The filter decrypts files, I believe.  To you can put 'gpg < cryptfile'
>and it will decrypt for you.  IMO, I think this is good unix behavior.

I agree that filters are a VERY good unix behavior, they're very script
friendly.

However, we can make them much more human-friendly if we look if stdin
is a TTY and emit a nice message. If the program is used as a filter,
then stdin is not bound to a TTY. The case that someone types in text
directly into GnuPG is very, very rare.

For example, if you confuse "mailstats" (from sendmail) with "mailstat"
(from procmail) and type as a command, the following will happen:

  $ mailstat
  Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?
  $

However, "cat logfile | mailstat" or "mailstat <logfile" or whatever
works as expected. So we have both: script-friendlyness and
human-friendlyness.

Holger Schurig               |  OM Standard Linux Server:
Operation Mobilisation e.V.  |  http://it-support.om.org/linux
Postfach 1561                |
D-74821 Mosbach              |  Tel: +49-6261-947-140