UI

Caskey L. Dickson caskey at technocage.com
Mon Nov 9 05:27:58 CET 1998

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Holger Schurig wrote:

> However, we can make them much more human-friendly if we look if stdin
> is a TTY and emit a nice message. If the program is used as a filter,
> then stdin is not bound to a TTY. The case that someone types in text
> directly into GnuPG is very, very rare.

I would disagree with this very strongly.  I often cut and paste from my
mailreader into an xterm.  Despite being able to use the export and filter
commands in pine, I still find this to be the easiest way to do quick gpg
work.

> For example, if you confuse "mailstats" (from sendmail) with "mailstat"
> (from procmail) and type as a command, the following will happen:
>
>   $ mailstat
>   Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?
>   $
>
> However, "cat logfile | mailstat" or "mailstat <logfile" or whatever
> works as expected. So we have both: script-friendlyness and
> human-friendlyness.

I'm all for a simple message a-la mailstat.  It makes no difference to me
and maintains 'good unix behavior'.

C=)

P.S.  I'm curious werner, how many patches do you get for problems vs.
requests to just fix it for us?

    Heuer's Law: Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off.
Caskey <caskey*technocage.com>       ///                pager.818.698.2306
TechnoCage Inc.                     ///|               gpg: aiiieeeeeee!!!