Using GPG in the US

Richard Lynch lynch at cognitivearts.com
Tue Nov 24 22:26:42 CET 1998

>Werner Koch wrote:
>> But be warned: GnuPG does currently not lock the trustdb or the
>> keyrings, so if two gpg processes run on the same files you loose.

Yikes!!!

<HOPEFULLY>
Is this an issue only during the import/generation of keys?...
</HOPEFULLY>

I've been working toward a secure web-site using gpg to encrypt credit card
orders to e-mail to client as a low-volume free alternative to CyberCash et
al.  I'd hate to have it not work if two people ordered at the same time...

One thing I'm still confused about:

If I generate a key, why is it not automatically assigned trust value 4,
and a calculated path to it set?  Does one regularly generate a key for
themselves and not trust it?...  It seems to me the default when you
generate a key should be f/? where ? is whatever goes there once a path is
found to the key...

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch at cognitivearts.com     webmaster@  and www. all of:
R&B/jazz/blues/rock - jademaze.com        music industry org - chatmusic.com
acoustic/funk/world-beat - astrakelly.com     sculptures - olivierledoux.com
my own nascent company - l-i-e.com     cool coffeehouse - uncommonground.com