Lost Newbie

Richard Lynch lynch at lscorp.com
Sun Oct 4 00:23:07 CEST 1998

I've staggered a little further along, but I seem to have hit a stumbling
block.  I created a key for my client on my keyring.  I encrypted a test
message, and it sure 'nuf was a whole mess of seemingly random ASCII
characters.  I even managed to decrypt it back to the original.  Whooo
Hooooo!!!

Then I got cocky and decided to make another key for myself-- or, rather,
one of my "selves" -- as webmaster at uncommonground.com  And, since I'm not
too concerned about somebody forging messages, and I can't quickly figure
out how to securely get a passphrase from a PHP script (kinda like Perl
only readable) to the gpg program, I figured I'd use no passphrase.

I thought I could use -r to specify which key to use to encrypt.  But no
matter what I do, gpg's asking my for my client's passphrase...

So I go digging through your generous e-mails, and find:

Brian Warner wrote:
>The --remote-user (-r) option takes
>a name or keyid to encrypt the message to, which must come right after the -r
>argument.

So, apparently -r is to specify the recipient of the message.  Is it
possible to specify the sender?... Or am I even more confused than I think
I am.

I was rather hoping to use the key ring to store multiple personalities I
use.  webmaster at uncommonground.com, webmaster at jademaze.com,
webmaster at astrakelly.com, webmaster at olivierledoux.com,
lynch at cognitivearts.com, etc...

Is that possible?  I'm not seeing anything obvious in -h about the from user.

If not, of the keyrings I've made, how does it decide which one is "me"
(the sender)?  Is it just the first one I made, or the most secure one it
can find, or...?...

I'm still on v0.3.5 'cuz I haven't bothered my ISP to recompile yet... so
if -r is just behaving oddly because of that... sorry.

THANKS!!!

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch at lscorp.com