PGP/GnuPG Wierdness report...

Fabio Coatti cova at felix.unife.it
Tue Oct 13 10:00:46 CEST 1998

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 09:46:05PM -0700, Caskey L. Dickson wrote:

> I've since re-generated my GnuPG keys and re-imported them into PGP using
> the --no-armor --no-comment trick and have manged to send encrypted
> messages back and forth.  Now my problem is ascii armoring.
>
> My prior success with sending messages to my friend may have been affected
> by the fact that he was using v.5.5 of PGP, not 5.0 as I am.  Currently I
> am unable to do ascii armored messages that can be successfully decrypted.
> PGP is *awful* about error messages.  If it doesn't find any input that it
> can decrypt it silently dies.
>
> Does anyone else out there successfully communicate with PGP users?

Well, I've imported my pgp 5.0 secret key (I've removed the passphrase) in
gpg 0.4.1 and actually my pgp5 is unable to verify signatures made by gpg.
(both ascii armored or not). I've also tried with symmetric ciphers, to
avoid use of pub/sec keys, and I'm still unable to exchange cyphertexts
between gpg and pgp5.0, no matter which otpions I'm using.
I'm looking for anyone that succeded in gpg/pgp5.0 messages exchange...

Fabio Coatti          cova at felix.unife.it
2:332/409.414                     Fidonet
http://felix.unife.it/~cova     Home page
Old SysOps never die... they simply forget their password.