gpg Real Name part.

Caskey L. Dickson caskey at technocage.com
Tue Oct 20 04:43:46 CEST 1998

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Werner Koch wrote:

> "Caskey L. Dickson" <caskey at technocage.com> writes:
>
> > Yes it's valid.  One MTA in fact (qmail) uses + and - characters to
>
> Okay, I changed this and allowed ´+´ in the mailboxname.
>
> Is it new, that qmail allows ´+´ as separator or is there a special
> meaning for this?

New for qmail?  I don't think so.  I think it's just another preference.
I know some people use it for virtual domains as a way of 'encoding' the
'@'. I.e. caskey at sample.com gets re-mailed to
caskey+sample.com at technocage.com

Some list operators use it to munge the headers so that bounces go to
g10-bounce+caskey=sample.com at net.lut.ac.uk.  Not that ours does it, mind
you.

Off topic personal note:

I use the '-' mechanism for organizing my incoming list mail and to create
throwaway email addresses.  I.e. if you must give an email address to
download a piece of software, caskey-junkmail-pgp at technocage.com.  I then
filter everything through my .qmail-junkmail-default to the bit bucket
unless I'm expecting something interesting.   Hmm... spam as a source of
entropy?  Could work...

C=)

    Heuer's Law: Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off.
Caskey <caskey*technocage.com>       ///                pager.818.698.2306
TechnoCage Inc.                     ///|               gpg: aiiieeeeeee!!!