3DES decryption bug in 0.4.0

Caskey L. Dickson caskey at technocage.com
Fri Sep 18 22:00:22 CEST 1998

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Michael Roth wrote:

> Why was this typo not detected by the integrated selftest? The answer is
> simple: I wrote my own testcase for my own code. This is generally a bad
> idea and as a result of this, the selftest simple doesn't run a test on
> the affected subject...
>
> For the first time I appended a hot 'mini-patch' wich fixes the bug to
> this mail.  I don't think Werner should release a new version to include
> this patch.
> I will made a larger patch with some more speed improvements on 3DES
> tomorrow.
>
> To apply the patch change to directory 'gnupg-0.4.0/cipher' and type in
> the command 'patch < PATH_TO_FILE/des-decrypt-bug.patch' and recompile
> gnupg.

I was just about to begin playing with the DES features in gpg--thanks to
Michael's quick work, I'll be far less confused. As such, I've updated
Werner's version of my spec file that came with the distribution to also
apply the patch as part of the build process.  It may be fetched from my
gpg page.

C=)

<http://technocage.com/~caskey/gpg/>

       There is hardly a thing in the world that some man can not
             make a little worse and sell a little cheaper.
Caskey <caskey*technocage.com>       ///                pager.818.698.2306
TechnoCage Inc.                     ///|               gpg: 1024D/7BBB1485